Deloitte’s 31st Annual Holiday Survey of consumer spending intentions supports what RPE has communicated to customers during the past several months. Retail unified commerce with no silos is the way of the future! If retailers treat online and in-store shopping as mutually reinforcing rather than competitive forces, they can create more opportunities across all business channels. There are a variety of pathways toward retail success, and knowing how to navigate each one of them is integral in today’s marketplace.
This is what we learned from the survey:
- Retailers could see record holiday web traffic with 50% of consumers saying they plan to shop online, followed by discount department stores at 43%.
- For the first time, 47% of shoppers’ budgets will be spent online, matching what they plan to spend at physical stores.
- Fewer people plan to visit standalone “big-box” retail stores, dropping from 63% to 59% this year; traditional malls fell slightly from 53% to 50%.
- 66% of shoppers expect to “webroom,” looking at items online before making their purchase in a store.
- 50% will take part in “showrooming” by going to a store to look for an item, then searching online for the best price to purchase.
- 43% expect to use retailers’ “buy online, pickup in store” feature.
- Smartphone owners using their devices for holiday shopping plan to browse online (56%), read reviews (51%) and get product information (50%) – all increased from last year.
- 43% of smartphone owners surveyed expect to make a mobile purchase, up from 35% last year.
What’s the Takeaway?
The raw data is a crucial starting point, but applying those numbers into action is crucial for success. Thus, helping retailers understand how to achieve retail unified commerce excellence will be a primary focus at this year’s 2017 NRF Conference & EXPO. The series of events will take place in New York City at the Jacob Javits Convention Center. As a leader in retail consulting services, and sponsor of the annual NRF Conference & EXPO running January 15 through 17, RPE will showcase cutting edge omnichannel retail solutions to achieve retail unified commerce at the most profitable level. Join us at the largest retail industry event of the year this January!
RPE Solutions encourages anyone interested in meeting at NRF to discuss unified commerce platform solutions, should plan ahead and schedule a meeting in advance. We look forward to seeing you there, and taking the first step toward better retailing.